BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mercy Corps

As many of you may or may not know, I am a huge fan of Mercy Corps. They are a wonderful organization and are a large part of the reason why I want to get into global health-- one day I hope to be a part of one of their programs.

In the meantime I'm encouraging people to support their development and relief efforts all over the world, and of course right now the big issue is the earthquake in Haiti. Since you're all probably getting pressure from everywhere to donate to this and that, I'd just like to throw out two things: 1) 89% of Mercy Corps resources go directly to their programs and 2) all donations are tax deductible. Unlike other organizations, Mercy Corps stays in areas affected by natural disasters for as long as it takes to re-stabilize. That might not sound like much, but they still have programs in Indonesia helping rebuild economy and infrastructure after the tsunami in 2004.

Anyway, I can't donate as much as I could back then so I made a fundraising page to help encourage people I know to donate. So go here to donate if you want to donate to Mercy Corps and it will tell me how much the people I know have raised. I don't get anything for this so if you have another charity in mind go ahead and give to them instead. As long as the groups involved get the funding they need I don't really care who gives to what.

Apologies for the solicitation.

0 kokua: