BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First day and half done

Did I die and go to some parallel universe where everything's the opposite of New Jersey?

First off, when I started to make a wrong turn in the airport the flight crew from my plane (who were walking behind me) recognized me from the flight and called out to tell me the right direction, and when I dropped my phone and the battery popped out they stopped to make sure it was okay. Then the cab service at the airport pulled up a limo for me. Turns out it's the same price as a regular cab-- $30 to go the necessary 10 miles. Sweet. Then for extra funsies, the super sweet driver carried my bags up the stairs to Frear Hall for me and then tried to help me find out what doors to go in (two entrances were closed for some reason).

Second, the various offices are painless and easy to work with. When I went to Dining Services earlier one of the ladies actually left the office to go find the woman I needed to talk to for me. Whenever I asked anyone a question (including the other students) they would go find out the answer for me if they didn't actually know. I got in touch with the office that advises people on finding careers in the healthcare industry (yes there's a whole office for that) and not only were they sweet and helpful, the lady at the desk is going to put me in touch with the grad student she knows that's doing what I want to do-- an MPH with a focus in preventative medicine.

There's also a bunch of tasty local eateries within walking distance. There's also a Japanese grocery store, a health food store, and a regular grocery store all next to each other right down the road. So far I have only seen one national chain business around here, and it's a Burger King... But that's not including the Pizza Hut/Subway/Jamba Juice in the student center. Going the other way is the CVS where I have sent my allergy prescription to be filled-- I'm all stuffy from the long flight still :X

In other words, pretty freaking sweet.

I was still apprehensive about adapting until I walked down to the store and as I came back I saw a rainbow coming up out of lower campus, right where my dorm is!! I am now sure I am really supposed to be here... :D

0 kokua: