BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My edjumacashin

Long post is long.

The yoo-hoos in the College of Arts and Sciences advising office better thank their lucky stars that I got all the classes I wanted today, because there would have been many flaming bags of dog doo on their metaphorical front steps tonight if I hadn't. They thought it would be a totally rad idea to spread registration out over a full week with one group's registration period opening every half hour from 9am-4pm. The groups are divided by just a couple of credits each, meaning that they spread everyone out so completely that, for example, L and his roommate Don started here the same semester but their registration times were three days apart. FAIL.

Oh and for extra fun they leave a whole weekend in the middle in which no registration periods start but people whose times began the week before can still add classes, so anyone stuck registering in the two days after that weekend are BONED with a capitol F-U-C-K-E-D. Guess where I was? Yeah. I had to redo my schedule four times in the last two days.

Here's how my schedule worked out:
-Physical Anthropology + Lab (MWF)
-Anthropology of Consumer Cultures (TR)
-Intermediate Japanese (MTWF)
-Women and Madness (R)
-Biomedicine and Culture (MW)

So now I'm at 17 credits with a dilemma. I had originally planned out a 19 credit semester with a two credit public health class instead of Anth of Consumer Cultures-- I had wanted to take it but it filled. Miraculously, someone dropped it right before my registration time, so I jumped on it.

An aside: The Arts & Sciences advisors will insist to you that even if a section fills up you can still e-mail the prof and get in 100% of the time. Those e-mails, much like the goggles, do nothing. Most of the time you don't even get a reply. Usually you get rejected. This prof had rejected me for this class already (as an extra student, that is) so I was psyched.

Unfortunately it conflicts with the two credit course that was going to bump me to 19 credits, which is the limit. You have to get special permission to go above that and can't do that until the start of the next semester. Then you have to prove to them that you can take a heavy semester like that, which I'm not sure they'll buy coming from me. So my dilemma is this: Do I wait for next semester to start and try to petition to take another three-credit course, or do I drop my Consumer Cultures course for the two credit class? Two credits are hard to come by or I would just find another one to pop into this schedule.

It's important to note that, even with 19 credits in the spring, I will have 41 credits left before I can graduate and only two semesters left in my four years. Because I transferred I essentially lost a whole semester of credits that didn't transfer over. This means I will have to go to at least one summer session, probably to take something like two or three classes, and then I'll still need to take 17 credits per semester my senior year. I only have a couple of classes I need to take the graduate, it's mostly getting the total necessary 124 credits. I need a minimum of 19 credits in the spring-- I can't just sit on 17.

And no, I don't want to just take another semester. I don't wanna and you can't make me, neener neener neener.

0 kokua: